Health and Safety


Social Media

iWatch and Anti-Terrorism page



Military/Veteran Crisis Line

Suicide Prevention

Relocating to Hawaii

The following information and links are provided for personnel and their family members soon-to-be-stationed at Fort Shafter, Schofield Barracks, Tripler Army Medical Center and Wheeler Army Airfield. Personnel being assigned to U.S. Army Garrison-Pohakuloa Training Area on the Island of Hawaii can find relocation information on PTA's website.

If you know what unit or office you will be assigned to, you may find additional unit-specific information on their websites. The "Military Units" menu above has links to all major commands and offices on the garrison's installations.

Community Readiness Expo

Community Readiness Expo

The Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (DFMWR) hosts weekly newcomers' orientations and runs the official Relocation Program:

Soldiers and families are invited to attend the Community Readiness Expo to have a better awareness of community services, resources and upcoming events. The expo will be held Thursdays, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., at the Nehelani, Schofield Barracks. Call 655-4227 for more information.

Helpful Resources

  • Download the Resource Guide, produced by Army Community Service, for information for programs and services both on and off post.
  • Your Military in Hawaii, a joint-services publication, provides information on all installations in Hawaii. View the guide online at HI Military Guide.
  • Also check out the garrison's Pinterest boards filled with helpful links for newcomers.
  • Check out the State of Hawaii's online Newcomer's Guide for helpful information, including becoming a resident, registering to vote or for a vehicle, getting a state ID, and much more.
  • While old, this Tour of Duty: Schofield Barracks video from The Pentagon Channel has recreation ideas about your new duty station.
  • General Info
  • Household Goods/Vehicles
  • Medical & Dental Care
  • Sponsorship
  • Replacement Detachment

We hope this information will be helpful when making your permanent change of station (PCS) move to Hawaii. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor yet, request one for assistance with additional questions or specific concerns you or your family may have.

Housing, Billeting and Temporary Lodging

AHOUSFor Soldiers and families relocating to Hawaii, housing and temporary lodging is available both on and off post. Visit the Army Housing Online User Services website for more information on Army Family Housing, Residential Community Initiative Housing, Housing Services Office, and Unaccompanied Personnel Housing.


Leilehua High video

Dependent children can attend public or private schools in Hawaii. Public schools are run by Hawaii's Department of Education. The Hawaii Association of Independent Schools has information on private schools. The Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation's School Liaison Office coordinates and assists Army school-age youth with educational opportunities and information necessary to achieve academic success.

Incoming spouses can find information on education geared towards them on the Spouse Education Center's website.

Soldiers can find information on continuing education on the Education Center's website.

Hawaii's DOE requires that you provide specific documentation at registration. Be sure to bring the following:

  • Form 14 Student Health Record/ Physical exam must have been taken in past 12 months. Appointment slip is acceptable for conditional admission. Military may take out-of-state physical results and shot records to base/post clinic to have them transcribed to Hawaii Form 14.
  • Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Proof of current address
  • Legal documents (if any)
  • Documents from previous school (transcripts, etc.)
  • Other (Inhaler and EpiPen Consent Form)

Hawaii DOE requires that you provide health and immunization documentation at the time of registration. It is important that you accomplish as much of this as possible prior to your arrival in Hawaii. Failure to do so could delay your child’s enrollment in school.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children is an agreement among member states (Hawaii became a member in 2009) that addresses certain school transition issues for military children in a consistent manner.

For information on programs offered by Child Youth School Services, to include day care and the School Liaison Office, call (808) 655-9818 or visit for registration requirements.



If you plan to bring pets to Hawaii, begin planning as soon as possible to minimize the time your pet may be required to be quarantined. Hawaii is a rabies free state. For entrance into the state, Hawaii requires a microchip, a valid rabies vaccine and a rabies antibody test (FAVN). Once the lab has received the FAVN there is a 120 day waiting period to enter the state without being placed in quarantine. Hawaii's quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the introduction and spread of rabies. All dogs and cats, regardless of age (puppies and kittens included) or purpose, must comply with Hawaii’s dog and cat import requirements. Please check the state restrictions regarding other species of pets at

photo of dog and packing bags
Photo by Vanessa Lynch, Hawaii Army Weekly

For the latest on quarantine information, visit Hawaii's Department of Agriculture's Animal Quarantine website.

Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation operate a pet kennel in Halawa Valley near Aliamanu Military Reservation and Aloha Stadium. More information can be found online.

Certain breeds are not allowed on Army installations, and there are rules and regulations regarding owning pets in post housing. All applicable policies can be found on the Command Documents page.

After you arrive in Hawaii, the Army's Veterinary Corps can provide services for your pet(s) at one of their four veterinary facilities on Oahu.

Recreational Safety

Hawaii's natural resources are very beautiful - but also can be very deadly. Please reveiw the information on the websites below to be prepared:

Energy Conservation

The Army in Hawaii focuses on energy conservation efforts through technology, partnerships and personal accountability to reduce consumption so the Army can efficiently and effectively execute missions today and in the future.

All Soldiers, families, residents and civilians have a personal responsibility to enforce directives to ensure energy and environmental conservation and sustainability for the future.

In an effort to encourage the efficient use of energy, the Office of the Secretary of Defense established a utility consumption responsibility policy that holds the Soldiers and their families responsible for the utilities they use in on-post housing.

Weapon Registration

Personally-owned firearms must be registered with the state of Hawaii and either the Schofield Barracks Provost Marshall Office (PMO) or the Fort Shafter PMO with 72 hours of arrival. Visit the Directorate of Emergency Services page to learn more.

The Joint Personal Property Shipping Office, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JPPSO-Hawaii) handles all processing for temporary storage and/or delivery of your personal property once it arrives on island. The JPPSO is a jointly staffed DoD activity assigned to HQ Air Force. You can call the JPPSO at (808) 473-7760. Visit the Transportation webpage to learn more.

To read more about your personal property move, visit the Air Force's "Move" website.

The Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) handles all privately owned vehicle (POV) shipments. Incoming personnel can track the status of their POV shipments.

Shipping Information from the Transportation Division, Logistics Readiness Center

After visiting your servicing Transportation Office, completing your counseling and being provided the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) POV Shipment Counseling Worksheet, the Honolulu VPC will assist you with shipping your POV. Federal law allows shipment of only one vehicle at government expense – members that utilized a POV shipment in conjunction with Early Return of Dependents (ERD) orders do not have an entitlement to ship a second POV upon their departure from outside of the continental United States (OCONUS).

Photo of the Honolulu Vehicle Processing Center

The Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) is located at Matson Terminal’s Sand Island Facility, Pier 51-B, 411 Sand Island Access Road. The VPC is in the Matson Auto Office building. The VPC is open from 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday-Friday to process customers; appointments should be made prior to arrival.

Customers arriving without appointments may be delayed based on volume. The VPC is closed on all federal holidays. POV processing normally takes approximately one hour. Customers should arrive no later than 2:45 p.m. to allow processing of your vehicle. During peak rotation periods delays based on VPC volume may occur, please plan accordingly.

The phone number of the VPC is 808-527-3473/855-389-9499. The VPC’s fax number is 808-439-6847.

Schedule an appointment. Choose VPC directions (Honolulu).

Vehicle Tracking
Want to know the status of your vehicle?

Turning in Your POV for Shipment
You must have the following documents, along with a completed VPC worksheet:

  • Orders (authorizing POV shipment)
  • Current POV registration
  • Title or lien holder authorization
  • Power of Attorney (if applicable)
  • Original Customs Clearance letter (for overseas)
  • Joint Ownership Letter (if applicable)
  • Lease Agreement or Temp Registration (if applicable)
  • Storage Authorization Memo (if authorized POV storage)

Inbound Soldiers who have NOT shipped a POV but are authorized a POV shipment, have 90 days since their report date to Hawaii to submit a “Request for POV Shipment.” Memo should be submitted through your commander and then sent to the Transportation Office. For more information, see the "ShippingYour POV" pamphlet.

Registering your vehicle in Hawaii

All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the state within 10 days of arrival. To register your car in Hawaii, you will need to get a CS-L (MVR) 50 Non-Resident Certificate from the Replacement Company during in-processing. Hawaii no-fault insurance is required to drive in the state.

You may keep your original out-of-state plates, but you must register to get a Hawaii vehicle sticker. Out-of-state permits must have the following:

  • Current out-of-state registration
  • Shipping document (Bill of Lading)
  • Form CS-L (MVR) 27 (out-of-state permit application form), which is available at Satellite City Halls (see below)
  • Current Hawaii Vehicle Safety Inspection Certificate (see below)
  • Form CS-L (MVR) 50 (non-resident certificate) or Form CS-L (MVR) 50A (Hawaii Resident Certificate), which is available at your military personnel office or your military unit.
  • Proof of no fault insurance in Hawaii
  • Pay fees (cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check)

Hawaii residents on active duty and members of the National Guard and Reserve and who are assigned to units located in Hawaii are exempt from motor vehicle weight taxes for one vehicle, which must be registered in their name. Submit a properly completed Hawaii Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR)50A, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.

In lieu of Out-of-State permit (to get Hawaii plates) you must produce the following for vehicle currently registered out of state:

  • Current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate
  • Current out-of-state registration
  • Shipping documents (Bill of Lading)
  • Application for Registration (Form CS-L 1) signed by owner(s)
  • Proof of no fault insurance in Hawaii
  • Pay fees (cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check)

Safety Inspection

Have your vehicle safety inspection done at the Auto Skills & Storage:

Schofield Barracks Auto Skills & Storage
Bldg. 910, Duck Rd.
(808) 655-9368
Wednesday–Friday, 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

Fort Shafter Auto Skills & Storage
Bldg. 1535, Fort Shafter Flats
(808) 438-9402
Wednesday–Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

Satellite City Halls

Register your vehicle at Satellite City Halls. Locations close to Schofield Barracks and Fort Shafter include:

330 North Cane Street
Wahiawa, HI 96786
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Uptown Pearlridge Shopping Center
98-1005 Moanalua Road, 244B
Aiea, HI 96701
Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

Opening April 2014 to everyone with base access, including all members of the military, their families and civilian employees:

Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Satellite Vehicle Registration Office
915 North Cane Road, Building 1314, Club Pearl Complex
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m-noon and 1-4 p.m.
(808) 473-1487

If you and your family are moving to Hawaii, work with your health care provider, whether Tricare (service members and their families) or another provider (civilians), before you arrive to ensure a seamless transition in care.

Click here to view more about medical and dental healthcare in Hawaii.


Before you move, contact the Tricare region office you're leaving to see if you need to switch to a new region. Hawaii is part of the West region; the regional Tricare office is called TriWest Healthcare Alliance. You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. Contact information and more Tricare moving tips are available on the Tricare website.

Your Tricare coverage is completely portable—meaning it moves with you. You are covered worldwide—both in-transit to your new duty location and once you arrive—but depending on where you go, you may use a different Tricare health plan option. Additionally, you may have different enrollment steps depending on which health plan option is available in your new area.

Getting Care Along the Way

Before you move, make sure you have received any routine medical or dental care you think you might need during the time you will be traveling. Or, delay the care until you get to your new duty location. Check supply of all prescription medications and get refills/new prescriptions until you can make an appointment with your new Primary Care Manager (PCM) at your new duty site.

Emergency Care in the United States

Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. Tricare defines emergency care as medical services provided for a sudden or unexpected medical or psychiatric condition, or the sudden worsening of a chronic (ongoing) condition that is threatening to life, limb, or sight and needs immediate medical treatment, or which has painful symptoms that need immediate relief to stop suffering. If you are near a military treatment facility (MTF), you should go to the MTF or military dental treatment facility for emergency services. If you are seen in a civilian facility, contact your PCM or regional contractor within 24 hours.

Civilian Employees

The Army Benefits Center and the Office of Personnel Management websites have information on what steps to take when moving.

Aloha! Congratulations on your assignment to Hawaii.  Requesting a sponsor is one of the wisest pre-move decision you will make during this important transition. If you haven’t already done so, please complete the Sponsorship Program Form and email it. Requests will not be processed without the above form. If known, include your new unit in Hawaii and list any topics you would like additional information on such as dependent education, bringing pets, EFMP, etc.

Photo by Sgt. Brian Erickson, 3rd BCT

Your request will be forwarded to your gaining unit and a sponsor will be assigned to assist you. Your sponsor will contact you via email or letter with information about your new unit, and the surrounding communities. We highly encourage you to check out other tabs on this page where you will find useful information pertaining to your move, housing, medical and dental care, MWR and various other installation activities and opportunities here in Hawaii.

Outgoing Personnel

One of the most important pre-move actions you can take is to request a sponsor. Please complete the Sponsorship Program Counseling and Information Sheet, Sponsorship Program Form and see your unit Sponsorship Coordinator.

Sponsorship Survey

An important part of completing the in- or out-processing checklist is the online Total Army Sponsorship Program Survey for in-processing or out-processing.

Sponsorship Training

All Soldiers are eligible to be assigned as a sponsor to assist inbound and outbound Soldiers. For training and certification, access Sponsorship Application and Training.

Contact Information

If you have a question about sponsorship, contact the Hawaii Sponsorship Program Liaison at 808-655-8276 or via email.

Mailing address:
Directorate of Human Resources
Garrison Replacement Program
Building 750
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 96857-5000

Phone: 808-655-8276/4661
Fax: 808-655-4634

The U.S. Army Hawaii Replacement Company office is located at:
Soldier Support Center
Ayers Ave., Bldg. 750, Room 102, Schofield Barracks
(808) 655-6291

The Barracks and 24-hour Charge of Quarters is located at:
Menoher Road, Bldg. 1020, Schofield Barracks
(808) 282-0040

All Soldiers assigned to any unir in U.S. Army Hawaii will report to U.S. Army Hawaii Replacement Company.

For Soldiers and families relocating to Hawaii, housing and temporary lodging is available both on and off post. Visit the Army Housing Online User Services website for more information on Army Family Housing, Residential Community Initiative Housing, Housing Services Office, and Unaccompanied Personnel Housing.



View even more videos on YouTube.

Can't access YouTube? Click here to access government-accessable versions of USAG-HI videos.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Department of Defense website.