Health and Safety


Social Media

iWatch and Anti-Terrorism page



Military/Veteran Crisis Line

Suicide Prevention

Education Center

  • About
  • Counseling
  • On Duty Programs
  • Colleges & Universities
  • Testing Programs
  • Command
  • Events
Education Center Logo

Welcome to the Army Continuing Education System (ACES) website, serving U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii. Active duty military, reserve component military, retirees, Department of the Army civilians and their adult family members may receive counseling, information about financial aid and local programs, and enrollment in selected programs.

Tell us what your educational plans are. How can we help you reach your goals?

Check out FMWR's website too. They have information on dependent and spouse education.

Hours of Operation
Army Education Center, Schofield Barracks
1565 Kolekole Avenue, Building 560
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 96857

General Information
CALL 655-0800/655-0805; 655-4986 (Fax)

Reception and Admin Office
Monday – Friday, 0900 – 1700 hours

Counseling Staff
Monday – Friday, 0900 - 1700

Classroom Reservations (655-9388)
Monday – Friday, 0900 – 1630 hours

Learning Resource Center/Computer Lab (655- 0407)
Monday – Friday, 0930 – 1615 hours

APT Testing Center (655-9776)
Monday – Friday, 0900 – 1700 hours

On Post School Representatives
Monday – Friday, 0900 – 1700 hours

Hours of Operation, Tripler sub center, Building 102
Call 433-4184 for information; 433-4183 (Fax)

Administrative Office
Monday – Friday, 0745 – 1615 hours

Counseling Staff
Monday – Friday, 0900 – 1700 hours

APT Testing Center
Monday and Wednesday, 0900 – 1630

The educational counseling process is central to the delivery of meaningful adult educational programs and services to Soldiers in our geographic area of responsibility. Army guidance counselors assist Soldiers to establish realistic long- and short-range educational goals, advise Soldiers on how to make plans toward the achievement of those goals, and assist, through counseling, on the advisement of the appropriate ACES programs and services to fulfill goals.

Post 9/11 GI BILL MGIB/VA benefits advising is available.

Counseling services are available at all Army education centers in Hawaii on a walk–in basis – first come, first served – during normal hours of operation.

Although Soldiers are the priority for ACES counselors, counseling services are also available to adult family members, Department of Army civilians, and other eligible personnel. Appointments are not necessary; however, it is handled on a space available basis.

Visit a counselor to discuss your professional and personal goals. 

GT Improvement Courses

1. GT Improvement Classes at Schofield Barracks. Classes usually start at 0930. There is a $20 materials fee due on the first day of class. The $15 practice ASVAB book fee is optional. Student must take the CASAS test prior to class start date. CASAS test appointments can be arranged at the front desk (aka reception/admin office), room 217, building 560, Yano Hall, Schofield Barracks between 0900 and 1700 hours, Monday through Friday. An authorization memorandum is issued upon completion of the CASAS test. The memorandum must be signed by both the Soldier and the Company Commander AND returned promptly before the class starting date. There are usually eighty seats available on a first come first-serve basis. Call 655-0800/0805 for further information

2. GT Improvement Classes at Tripler. Tripler education center serves Army units in the Oahu South (Honolulu, Tripler, Fort Shafter, Camp Smith, Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, et al.) area. Classes usually start at 0900. There is a $20 materials fee due on the first day of class. Tripler does not require testing prior to class start date. All Soldiers who need to improve on their reading or math computation skills are welcome. Call (808)433-4184 for further information.

Programs on Post

Accredited colleges and universities offer certificate and degree programs to Soldiers and adult family members via on-post classes, off-post attendance at a local institution or through distance learning.

University Schofield Office Tripler Office
Central Texas College 808-624-0198 808-292-8476
Central Michigan University 808-624-3939 808-782-1541
Chaminade University of Hawaii 808-624-2515 808-840-1025
Hawaii Pacific University 808-687-7094 808-544-1493
Wayland Baptist University 808-564-3360 808-833-2001

On-post college terms are offered on a quarterly schedule.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) for Soldiers:

  • Non-successful grades are defined as grades "D" or "F" for undergraduate work and "C," "D" or "F" for graduate work Tuition assistance recoupment should be expected.
  • If you have a complaint regarding the college or university you are attending, follow the School Complaint procedure.
  • No fees, to include any supporting instructional fees, will be paid using TA. The actual cost of tuition, up to $250 per semester hour, is the only cost that will be funded. 
  • Except in overseas locations, a school seeking access to the installation solely to provide academic counseling or student support services must have a DoD student population of at least 20 military students.
  • TA must be approved before the start date of the class.
  • Soldiers can use TA after successful completion of their first year of service after graduating from either Advanced Individual Training, Officer Candidate School or Basic Officer Leaders Course..
  • Soldiers are eligible for up to 16 semester hours per year.
  • Soldiers can use TA for a second, higher-level post-bachelor's degree after completion of 10 years of service. The second degree time-in-service requirement applies to movement from a bachelor's to a master's degree, and not from an associate's to a bachelor's degree. The 10-year requirement only applies if Army TA was used to pay for any portion of the undergraduate coursework.
  • Soldiers receive up to $250 per semester hour
  • Limit of 130 semester hours for completion of a bachelor's degree and up to 39 semester hours for a master's degree.
  • TA can't for a second equivalent degree (no second bachelor's or master's degree) nor for first professional degree (PhD, MD or JD).
  • All courses must be part of an approved degree plan.
  • TA is not approved for Soldiers who are flagged for APFT/AWCP.

Tuition Assistance for new and continuing students:

  • Those who want to change home schools and degree plans or change from Base Role to TA Eligible status must go through this procedure. This is a newly required process Soldiers must use to request a TA Eligible Role through GoArmyEd, as well as to change schools and degree plans for continuing students.
  • Soldiers are now required to use VIA, a decision support tool that helps Soldiers identify a civilian career goal and select a degree that helps prepare Soldiers for their career goal and a school that offers the selected degree.
  • After using VIA a new help desk case will be automatically sent to your Army Education Counselor for approval. Students start the process by selecting the "Request TA Access" Smart Link to launch VIA in their GoArmyEd portal.
  • For assistance, call 1-800-817-9990.

National Testing Centers

Hawaii Pacific University will close the National Test Center at the Army Education Center, Aug. 13, 2015. HPU provides testing locations at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam and Marine Corps Base Hawaii-Kaneohe Bay. Additional information and appointments for testing can be made at 808-687-7093 or by visiting the website.

Army Personnel Testing

Army Personnel Test centers are located at both the Schofield Barracks Army Education Center and the Fort Shafter/Tripler Education Complex to administer a wide variety of official military tests. Soldiers are advised to contact their local Army education centers for the testing schedule.  

Tests include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT)**
  • Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB)
  • Defense Language Proficient Tests (DLPT)
  • Defense Language Reading Proficiency Test (DLRPT)
  • Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
  • Selection Instrument for Flight Training (SIFT)
  • Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)

**A brigade-level S1 system is in place for AFCT scores to be picked up at the APT testing center. Soldiers can no longer hand-carry test results to their unit PAC/S1 to update their records in the Army Personnel System. Test results must be routed to Soldier's brigade-level S1 to update records.

Testing requests submitted to the Army Personnel Testing Center at Schofield Barracks and Tripler must be made on the current version of DA Form 4187:


View more photos on Flickr.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Department of Defense website.