Health and Safety


Social Media

iWatch and Anti-Terrorism page



Military/Veteran Crisis Line

Suicide Prevention

Directorate of Emergency Services

The Directorate of Emergency Services provides 24-hour force protection, law enforcement, fire protection and community assistance to the Soldiers, civilians and family members of U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii; maintains liaison with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies; supports installation contingency operations.

  • Gate Access
  • Denial Waiver
  • Gate Hours
  • Neighborhood Watch
  • Contact Us
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Weapon Registration

Entry Requirements

For entry into Schofield Barracks, Wheeler Army Airfield, Tripler Army Medical Center, Fort Shafter, Fort Shafter Flats and Pililaau Army Recreation Center, individuals must present a Department of Defense Common Access Card (CAC) or military dependent ID card.

Non-DoD CAC cardholders are allowed on post if they are escorted by a DoD CAC cardholder, or obtain one of the passes listed below. Please see the "REAL ID" tab for additional requirements for visitors from Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Washington State and American Samoa. Guests remain under the responsibility of their sponsor at all times.

Children 15 and under do not have to show IDs.

Short-Term Visitors (1 Day Pass)

All visitors (anyone without a military identification card) must have a visitor pass. You will be routed to the closest Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) for a temporary pass. VPCs are located at Fort Shafter’s Buckner Gate, Tripler Army Medical Center’s main gate, Pohakuloa’s main gate and Schofield Barracks’ Lyman Gate (for access to either Schofield Barracks or Wheeler Army Airfield). The VPC provides daily passes that expire at midnight on the date of issue, based on need.

In order to obtain a visitor pass, drivers must possess a valid operator's license, vehicle safety inspection, registration and proof of no-fault insurance. Operators of Rental Vehicles must have the no-fault insurance statement in their agreement or in posession of their personal vehicle insurance card.

Employees, Residents & Frequent or Long-Term Visitors

Sponsored guests and commercial businesses must possess and present a guest or Controlled Access Pass (CAP) to gain entry at gate. Controlled Access Passes are processed by the Visitor Control Center (VCC), Building 6508, Leilehua Golf Course. Call 808-655-1620 for more information.

MP checking an ID
Photo by Sgt. Marcus Fichtl, 8th MP BDE

Houseguest, Caregiver or Visitor CAP
To obtain a houseguest, caregiver or visitor CAP, the sponsor and guest (10 years old and above) should visit the Visitor Control Center and fill out a CAP application form. To minimize processing time, sponsors can fill out the application ahead of time. A valid drivers license or state ID and proof of social security number will need to be presented if the pass is needed for longer than 30 days.

Houseguests residing on post more than 30 days will also need to register at the housing office. In addition, E-6 and below will need a commander's signature on the houseguest form.

Agent Card
An Agent Card is issued to a designated agent sponsored by the Commissary and/or Exchange. After Agent Card holders receive their agent card, they should proceed to the VCC with their agent card, driver’s license and proof of social security to obtain a CAP.

Contractor/Vendor CAP
To obtain a contractor/vendor CAP, the contracting office representative or military organization must submit a signed and approved contractor registration packet with all substantiating documents to the VCC. After the VCC has processed the paperwork (typically 1-3 days), contractors and vendors may pick up their passes at the VCC. Contractors and vendors must bring a valid driver's license (or state ID if they don’t have a license) and proof of social security number. 

Friends of MWR Pass
Those wishing to obtain a Friends of MWR Pass should visit the MWR website for more information.  

Denial Waiver

1. Purpose. Reasons follow for requirements.

a. If you have been denied access at a Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) or the Visitor Control Center (VCC) based on the regulatory required National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Interstate Identification Index (III) check utilized to determine identity vetting, you may request for an access denial waiver by completing the following steps:

    (1) Obtain a certified copy of your complete criminal history, including all arrests and convictions, from the appropriate Clerk of the Court. This criminal history must include all matters that were noted in your NCIC III check.

    (2) Obtain a letter of support from your employer. The letter must, at least, indicate that your employer will employ you upon the issuance of a waiver. In cases where you are visiting a government sponsor on post, you must include your sponsor's; full name, rank/status, unit/organization, address for on-post residence or location of visitation, telephone number and dates of visitation.

    (3) Complete the attached USAG-Hawaii Access Control Denial Waiver Application in its entirety and submit your application packet to your government sponsor who will be responsible for the submission of the waiver application to the Community Compliance Office (CCO). You must list all offenses and provide an explanation about why your offenses should not bar you from coming on USAG-Hawaii in the application.

    (4) The government sponsor will review the applicant’s packet for completeness and determine if a waiver is warranted for the applicant before submission to CCO.

    (5) The government sponsor must provide a letter of recommendation for the applying applicant. The government sponsor should address the respective offenses and indicate why those offenses should prevent the applicant from being barred from USAG-Hawaii. The government sponsor can scan all the documentation and email to a representative from the CCO. Alternatively, the government sponsor can hand deliver the waiver application to the CCO, 745 Wright Avenue, Bldg 107, Room 302A, WAAF.

b. Upon satisfaction of the following steps, the CCO, will review the applicant’s application. The fitness determination representative will determine based on the information provided whether the applicant fits into one of the following categories:

    (1) The applicant is prohibited for life from obtaining a denial waiver for access to USAG-Hawaii;

    (2) The applicant has been convicted within 10 years regardless of the offense or violation at the time of submitting a denial waiver is prohibited for ten (10) years from the date of discharge of their sentence from obtaining a denial waiver;

    (3) The applicant has a current arrest warrant in NCIC, regardless of the offense or violation.

c. If you are not disqualified for one of the above reasons, the reviewing officer will forward the package with a recommendation to the Garrison Commander for a final decision on your status.

d. The applicant will be mailed a copy of the Garrison Commander's decision. If you state on your application, a scanned copy can be emailed to you. It is your responsibility to provide the CCO with your current address in the application. If the decision is returned to the CCO due to an incorrect address, no further notice will be sent to you and your waiver request will not be processed.

e. Should your request be denied, an appeal must state new grounds for an appeal, such as missing information, etc., before it will be accepted.

2. PROCEDURES. To ensure that your request is complete, please follow these instructions:

a. Submit the completed application to your government sponsor. The government sponsor will review, complete cover letter recommendation, and hand deliver, fax, or email the following two items to the CCO when the packet is completed:

     (1) The Denial Waiver Application.

     (2) All supporting documents, including those certified by the Clerk of the Court, for the waiver application.

Gate Hours

MPs at an entry point at night
Photo by Sgt. Marcus Fichtl, 8th MP BDE

Need directions? Click here.

Aliamanu Military Reservation (Housing)
    Front Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
    Back Gate: Gate open from 5 a.m.-10 p.m./ 7 days
     a week.
    Valley View Gate: Gate open from 7-9 a.m.,
     Monday- Friday, exit only.

Fort Shafter
    Buckner Gate (front gate): Gate open 24 hours/ 7
     days a week.
    Johnson Gate: Gate closed.
    Patch Gate (back gate): Gate open from 5 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday-Friday.
    Patton Gate: Gate closed.

Fort Shafter Flats

    Fort Shafter Flats: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.

Hale Koa
    Main Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.

Helemano Military Reservation (Housing)
    Main Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.

Pililaau Army Recreation Center
    Main Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.

Pohakuloa Training Area (Big Island)
    Main Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
    Bradshaw Airfield Gate: Gate closed. For use by emergency services personnel only.

Red Hill (Housing)
    Main Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.

Schofield Barracks
    Lyman Gate (Required gate for all visitors): Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
    Foote Gate: Gate open from 5 a.m.-9 p.m./ 7 days a week.
    Macomb Gate: Gate open 5 a.m.-1 p.m., Monday-Friday. Closed Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
    *Macomb Gate is open outbound-only from 4-6 p.m., Monday-Friday
    McNair Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.*
    *McNair Closed to Outbound Traffic 5-6:30 a.m. Monday-Friday (Except Weekends, Federal Holidays and 25th ID Training Holidays)

Tripler Army Medical Hospital
    Tripler Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.

Wheeler Army Airfield
   Kunia Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
   Kawamura Gate: Gate open 5 a.m.-9 p.m./ 7 days a week.
   HECO Gate: When school is operating, the gate is open 6:30-8:30 a.m., and noon-3 p.m., Monday-Friday, exit only.
   Stover Gate: Gate closed.

Neighborhood Watch

U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii’s Directorate of Emergency Services has community-oriented policing officers dedicated to the revamped Neighborhood Watch program in area north, headquartered out of Schofield Barracks, and area south, headquartered out of Fort Shafter.

MPs patrolling a neighborhood
Photo by Sgt. Marcus Fichtl, 8th MP BDE

Residents can contact community-oriented policing officers through the Police Desk at 808-655-7114 or 808-438-7114.

Interested in starting or participating in a community Neighborhood Watch Program? The Neighborhood Watch Program is a network of neighbors, trained by crime prevention officers from DES, who serve as additional eyes and ears in their communities. Email Island Palm Communities for more information on this community partnership.


iWatch, iReport, iKeep Us Safe (iWatch Army) is a community program to help your neighborhood stay safe from terrorist activities. You and your fellow Army community members can report behaviors and activities that make you feel uncomfortable and do not feel right (suspicious behaviors). iWatch Army is a program and partnership between your community and your local law enforcement. iWatch Army asks you to report behavior and activities that are unusual or seem out of the ordinary. Visit the iWATCH page to learn more.

Directorate of Emergency Services
Director 808-655-5335
Sergeant Major 808-656-0525
Executive Officer 808-656-6454
Operations 808-656-6750
Administration 808-656-6732
AT/Force Protection 808-656-6734
Community Compliance 808-656-0459
Fire/Emergency Services 808-656-0207
Security Access Control Branch 808-655-8405
Physical Security 808-656-6671
Law Enforcement
Provost Marshal 808-656-7133
Deputy Provost Marshal 808-656-0233
Chief of Police 808-655-0683
Chief of Security Branch 808-656-5365
North Community Law Enforcement
Provost Officer 808-655-9496
Provost Sergeant 808-655-4264
Operations 808-655-4264
MP Desk (24 hours) 808-655-7114
South Community Law Enforcement
Provost Officer 808-438-2230
Provost Sergeant 808-438-8727
Operations 808-438-8739
MP Desk (24 hours) 808-438-7114
Pohakuloa Training Area Law Enforcement
Detachment Commander 808-969-2431
MP Desk (24 hours) 808-969-2429
Security Access Control Branch
Operations 808-655-8405
Visitor Control Center 808-655-1620

Real ID

- The Department of Defense has been informed by The Department of Homeland Security (who serves as the executive agent for REAL ID) that all States and territories are either compliant or on track to achieve compliance and have received extensions.

** NO STATES ARE SUBJECT TO REAL ID ENFORCEMENT AT THIS TIME OR FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE. DoD will accept standard State-issued driver's licenses and identification cards from all U.S. States and territories as proof of identity. DoD will not turn anyone away for having "a non-REAL ID-compliant driver's license."

* State-issued driver's licenses and identification cards marked "Not Valid for Federal Purposes", "Federal Limits May Apply", or other similar language may not be accepted by DoD.

The next important date to bear in mind is October 1, 2020. At that time enforcement will begin for individual State-issued driver's licenses and identification cards that are not REAL ID-compliant. Right now DHS projects that two states, Oregon and Oklahoma, will be the only ones not compliant by 1 Oct 2019.

For the most current information concerning state-by-state compliance with the Real ID Act, visit

Registering a personally-owned vehicle

U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii no longer issues Department of Defense decals for privately owned vehicles. 

MPs doing registration paperwork
Photo by Sgt. Marcus Fichtl, 8th MP BDE

As a result, DOD decals won’t be required for access to USAG-HI installations. Instead, the Common Access Card, or CAC, and other approved military identification will be the single source used to allow access through any Army installation access control point.

Decals do not need to be removed from POVs if they have not expired. Once a decal expires, drivers will be required to return it to either the Schofield Barracks Provost Marshal Office (PMO) or the Fort Shafter PMO.

Soldiers, family members, civilian employees and their commands must ensure that all POVs comply with applicable state laws and are properly registered. Vehicle owners must have current and valid insurance, as well as a state-required safety sticker.

The Security Branch, Directorate of Emergency Services, USAG-HI, will continue to maintain and issue rank emblem decals for general officers and command sergeants major assigned at the general-officer level. Those decals will be issued at the Installation Pass Office at Leilehua Golf Course (808-655-1620) while supplies last.

Motorcycle Access

All motorcyclists and moped drivers must have proof of completion of a valid DoD-approved safety course to operate a motorcycle or moped on post. Request traffic safety classes on the Army Traffic Safety Training Program website by selecting "View Available Courses," "Pacific" region, and "Hawaii" garrison, and the desired course.

Quick questions about motorcycle safety regulations? Check out the Personal Protective Equipment and Motorcycle Inspection checklists, and read the Motorcycle Safety Policy and Annex.

Motorists and vendors with additional questions should contact the USAG-HI’s Directorate of Emergency Services, Installation Access Office at 808-656-0247, the Fort Shafter PMO at 808-438-2230, or the Schofield Barracks PMO at 808-655-9496.

Registering a personally-owned weapon

The process for registering a personally-owned weapon on the installation is as follows:

An MP entering a car
Photo by Sgt. Marcus Fichtl, 8th MP BDE

Personally-owned firearms must be registered with the state of Hawaii and either the Schofield Barracks Provost Marshall Office (PMO) or the Fort Shafter PMO.

All personally-owned firearms must first be registered with Honolulu Police Department (HPD) in accordance with Hawaii statutes:
1. Bring personally owned firearms to HPD headquarters on 801 South Beretania Street, Honolulu, in a case (without ammunition) to register within 72 hours of the personally owned firearms arriving on the island. An ID and the original firearms permit are also required at this time.
2. Bring the HPD registration to either Schofield Barracks or Fort Shafter PMO to register on post (do not bring the personally owned firearms) within those same 72 hours.
3. Maintain the registration paperwork; you will need it when you depart Hawaii.

Registering the weapons on post is not required, but is recommended, if the personally owned firearms are not brought on post.

Report A Crime

Keep USAG-HI safe. Report crimes anonymously by texting “CRIMES” (274637) with the keyword “TIP730” and info (e.g., John Doe stole a plasma TV from 123 Main St.)

Want to submit a tip online instead? Visit

For more information, call the Military Police at 808-655-7114 (North region) or 808-438-7114 (South region).


View more photos on Flickr.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Department of Defense website.