Health and Safety


Social Media

USAG-HI on Pinterest

Relocating to Hawaii

The following information and links are provided for personnel and their family members soon-to-be-stationed at Fort Shafter, Schofield Barracks, Tripler Army Medical Center and Wheeler Army Airfield. Personnel being assigned to U.S. Army Garrison-Pohakuloa Training Area on the Island of Hawaii can find relocation information on PTA's website.

If you know what unit or office you will be assigned to, you may find additional unit-specific information on their websites. The "Tenants" menu above has links to all major commands and offices on the garrison's installations.

The Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (DFMWR) hosts weekly newcomers' orientations and runs the official Relocation Program. Download The Resource Guide, produced by Army Community Service, for information for programs and services both on and off post.

Your Military in Hawaii, a joint-services publication, provides information on all installations in Hawaii. View the guide online at HI Military Guide. Also check out the garrison's Pinterest boards filled with helpful links for newcomers.

  • General Info
  • Household Goods/Vehicles
  • Medical & Dental Care
  • Sponsorship
  • Replacement Detachment

We hope this information will be helpful when making your permanent change of station (PCS) move to Hawaii. If you haven't been assigned a sponsor yet, request one for assistance with additional questions or specific concerns you or your family may have.


Dependent children can attend public or private schools in Hawaii. Public schools are run by Hawaii's Department of Education. The Hawaii Association of Independent Schools has information on private schools. Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation's School Liaison Office coordinates and assists Army school-age youth with educational opportunities and information necessary to achieve academic success.

Incoming spouses can find information on education geared towards them on the Spouse Education Center's website.

Soldiers can find information on continuing education on the Education Center's website.

Hawaii's Department of Education requires that you provide specific documentation at registration. Be sure to bring the following:

  • Form 14 Student Health Record/ Physical exam must have been taken in past 12 months. Appointment slip is acceptable for conditional admission. Military may take out-of-state physical results and shot records to base/post clinic to have them transcribed to Hawaii Form 14.
  • Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Proof of current address
  • Legal documents (if any)
  • Documents from previous school (transcripts, etc.)
  • Other (Inhaler and EpiPen Consent Form)

Hawaii Department of Education requires that you provide health and immunization documentation at the time of registration. It is important that you accomplish as much of this as possible prior to your arrival in Hawaii. Failure to do so could delay your child’s enrollment in school.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children is an agreement among member states (Hawaii became a member in 2009) that addresses certain school transition issues for military children in a consistent manner.

For information on programs offered by Child Youth School Services, to include day care and the School Liaison Office, call (808) 655-9818 or visit for registration requirements.

Housing and Billeting

Photo by Vanessa Lynch, Hawaii Army Weekly
Photo by Mark Brown, Lend Lease

For families relocating to Hawaii, housing is available on post in both the North (Helemano Military Reservation, Schofield Barracks, Wheeler Army Airfield) and South (Aliamanu Military Reservation, Fort Shafter and Tripler Army Medical Center) regions. All on post housing is managed by Island Palm Communities, the garrison's housing partner. You will pay pro-rated rent and security deposit for the remainder of the month you move in.

The Housing Services Office can assist with questions about housing on and off the installation, as well as Temporary Lodging Allowances guidelines:

HSO North, Building 950, 215 Duck Road, Schofield Barracks, 808-655-3075/3076/3080. Open Mondays-Fridays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Closed Thursdays.

HSO South, Building 1004, 111 7th Street, Fort Shafter, 808-438-6198/0149. Open Mondays-Thursdays, 8 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m. Closed Fridays.

In an effort to encourage the efficient use of energy, the Office of the Secretary of Defense established a utility consumption responsibility policy that holds the Soldiers and their families responsible for its utilities. In accordance with the mandate, Island Palm Communities is responsible for implementing and managing this program. View a copy of
the Army's Residential Communities Initiative (RCI) Resident Utility Policy.

Single Soldiers (E1-E5) living on post reside in barracks managed by First Sergeants Barracks Program 2020, part of the First Sergeant's Barracks Initiative.

Unaccompanied/geographical bachelor Soldiers (E1-E5) will need to see the senior Barracks Management Representative for your brigade. Requests for additional time require a written memorandum by your First Sergeant to the First Sergeant Barracks Management Office.

Single and unaccompanied NCOs (E6 and above), accompanied Soldiers with dependents, and dual military arriving together, regardless of grade will reside in on-post or off-post housing. You should budget money prior to arrival to avoid taking on new debt to pay move-in costs (deposit, first month’s rent, and utilities deposit).

For families or Soldiers wishing to live off post, information on available rentals can be found on the Automated Housing Referral Network's website.


If your family will bring pets with them to Hawaii, begin planning as soon as possible to minimize the time your pet may be required to be quarantined. Hawaii is rabies-free. Hawaii's quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the introduction and spread of rabies. All dogs and cats, regardless of age (puppies and kittens included) or purpose, must comply with Hawaii’s dog and cat import requirements.

Photo by Vanessa Lynch, Hawaii Army Weekly
Photo by Vanessa Lynch, Hawaii Army Weekly

For the latest on quarantine information, visit Hawaii's Department of Agriculture's Animal Quarantine website.

Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation operate a pet kennel in Halawa Valley. More information can be found on their website.

Certain breeds are not allowed on Army installations, and our post housing partner, Island Palm Communities, has rules and regulations regarding owning pets in post housing. All applicable policies can be found on the Command Documents page.

After you arrive in Hawaii, the Army's Veterinary Corps can provide services for your pet(s) at one of their four veterinary facilities on Oahu.

Temporary Lodging

Lodging is available on post for the North region (Helemano Military Reservation, Schofield Barracks, Wheeler Army Airfield), the South region (Aliamanu Military Reservation, Fort Shafter, Tripler Army Medical Center), and downtown in Waikiki for both official and unofficial travel.

For additional information on temporary lodging as well as a listing of available facilities, visit the Lodging page.

The Housing Services Office can assist with questions about Temporary Lodging Allowances guidelines:

Energy Conservation

The Army in Hawaii focuses on energy conservation efforts through technology, partnerships and personal accountability to reduce consumption so the Army can efficiently and effectively execute missions today and in the future.

All U.S. Army Hawaii Soldiers, families, residents and civilians have a personal responsibility to enforce directives to ensure energy and environmental conservation and sustainability for the future.

In an effort to encourage the efficient use of energy, the Office of the Secretary of Defense established a utility consumption responsibility policy that holds the Soldiers and their families responsible for its utilities. In accordance with the mandate, Island Palm Communities is responsible for implementing and managing this program. View a copy of
the Army's Residential Communities Initiative (RCI) Resident Utility Policy.

Weapon Registration

Personally-owned firearms must be registered with the state of Hawaii and either the Schofield Barracks Provost Marshall Office (PMO) or the Fort Shafter PMO with 72 hours of arrival. Visit the Directorate of Emergency Services page to learn more.

The Joint Personal Property Shipping Office, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JPPSO-Hawaii) handles all processing for temporary storage and/or delivery of your personal property once it arrives on island. The JPPSO is a jointly staffed DoD activity assigned to HQ Air Force. You can call the JPPSO at 808-473-7760.

To read more about your personal property move, visit the Air Force's "Move" website.

The Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) handles all privately owned vehicle (POV) shipments. Incoming personnel can track the status of their POV shipments.

Shipping Information from the Transportation Division, Directorate of Logistics

After visiting your servicing Transportation Office, completing your counseling and being provided the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) POV Shipment Counseling Worksheet, the Honolulu VPC will assist you with shipping your POV. Federal law allows shipment of only one vehicle at government expense – members that utilized a POV shipment in conjunction with Early Return of Dependents (ERD) orders do not have an entitlement to ship a second POV upon their departure from outside of the continental United States (OCONUS).

Photo of the Honolulu Vehicle Processing Center

The Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) is located at Matson Terminal’s Sand Island Facility, Pier 51-B, Sand Island Access Road. The VPC is in the Matson Auto Office building. The VPC is open from 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday-Friday to process customers; appointments should be made prior to arrival.

Customers arriving without appointments may be delayed based on volume. The VPC is closed on all federal holidays. POV processing normally takes approximately one hour. Customers should arrive no later than 2:45 p.m. to allow processing of your vehicle. During peak rotation periods delays based on VPC volume may occur, please plan accordingly.

The phone number of the VPC is 808-848-8383/8353. The VPC’s fax number is 808-853-2116.

Schedule an appointment. Choose VPC directions (Honolulu).

Vehicle Tracking
Want to know the status of your vehicle?

Turning in Your POV for Shipment
You must have the following documents, along with a completed VPC worksheet:

  • Orders (authorizing POV shipment)
  • Current POV registration
  • Title or lien holder authorization
  • Power of Attorney (if applicable)
  • Original Customs Clearance letter (for overseas)
  • Joint Ownership Letter (if applicable)
  • Lease Agreement or Temp Registration (if applicable)
  • Storage Authorization Memo (if authorized POV storage)

Inbound Soldiers who have NOT shipped a POV but are authorized a POV shipment, have 90 days since their report date to Hawaii to submit a “Request for POV Shipment.” Memo should be submitted through your commander and then sent to the Transportation Office. For more information, see the "ShippingYour POV" pamphlet.

Registering your vehicle in Hawaii

All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the state within 10 days of arrival. To register your car in Hawaii, you will need to get a CS-L (MVR) 50 Non-Resident Certificate from the Replacement Company during in-processing. Hawaii no-fault insurance is required to drive in the state.

You may keep your original out-of-state plates, but you must register to get a Hawaii vehicle sticker. Out-of-state permits must have the following:

  • Current out-of-state registration
  • Shipping document (Bill of Lading)
  • Form CS-L (MVR) 27 (out-of-state permit application form), which is available at Satellite City Halls (see below)
  • Current Hawaii Vehicle Safety Inspection Certificate (see below)
  • Form CS-L (MVR) 50 (non-resident certificate) or Form CS-L (MVR) 50A (Hawaii Resident Certificate), which is available at your military personnel office or your military unit.
  • Proof of no fault insurance in Hawaii
  • Pay fees (cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check)

Hawaii residents on active duty and members of the National Guard and Reserve and who are assigned to units located in Hawaii are exempt from motor vehicle weight taxes for one vehicle, which must be registered in their name. Submit a properly completed Hawaii Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR)50A, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction.

In lieu of Out-of-State permit (to get Hawaii plates) you must produce the following for vehicle currently registered out of state:

  • Current Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate
  • Current out-of-state registration
  • Shipping documents (Bill of Lading)
  • Application for Registration (Form CS-L 1) signed by owner(s)
  • Proof of no fault insurance in Hawaii
  • Pay fees (cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check)

Safety Inspection

Have your vehicle safety inspection done at the Auto Skills & Storage:

Schofield Barracks Auto Skills & Storage
Bldg. 910, Duck Rd.
(808) 655-9368
Wednesday–Friday, 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

Fort Shafter Auto Skills & Storag,
Bldg. 1535, Fort Shafter Flats
(808) 438-9402
Wednesday–Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

Satellite City Halls

Register your vehicle at Satellite City Halls:

330 North Cane Street
Wahiawa, HI 96786
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Uptown Pearlridge Shopping Center
98-1005 Moanalua Road, 244B
Aiea, HI 96701
Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

If you and your family are moving to Hawaii, work with your health care provider, whether Tricare (service members and their families) or another provider (civilians), before you arrive to ensure a seamless transition in care.

Click here to view more about medical and dental healthcare in Hawaii.


Before you move, contact the Tricare region office you're leaving to see if you need to switch to a new region. Hawaii is part of the West region; the regional Tricare office is called TriWest Healthcare Alliance. You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. Contact information and more Tricare moving tips are available on the Tricare website.

Your Tricare coverage is completely portable—meaning it moves with you. You are covered worldwide—both in-transit to your new duty location and once you arrive—but depending on where you go, you may use a different Tricare health plan option. Additionally, you may have different enrollment steps depending on which health plan option is available in your new area.

Getting Care Along the Way

Before you move, make sure you have received any routine medical or dental care you think you might need during the time you will be traveling. Or, delay the care until you get to your new duty location. Check supply of all prescription medications and get refills/new prescriptions until you can make an appointment with your new Primary Care Manager (PCM) at your new duty site.

Emergency Care in the United States

Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. Tricare defines emergency care as medical services provided for a sudden or unexpected medical or psychiatric condition, or the sudden worsening of a chronic (ongoing) condition that is threatening to life, limb, or sight and needs immediate medical treatment, or which has painful symptoms that need immediate relief to stop suffering. If you are near a military treatment facility (MTF), you should go to the MTF or military dental treatment facility for emergency services. If you are seen in a civilian facility, contact your PCM or regional contractor within 24 hours.

Civilian Employees

The Army Benefits Center and the Office of Personnel Management websites have information on what steps to take when moving.

Aloha! Congratulations on your assignment to Hawaii.  Requesting a sponsor is one of the wisest pre-move decision you will make during this important transition. If you haven’t already done so, please complete the Sponsorship Program Form and email it or fill out our electronic form to be contacted. If known, include your new unit in Hawaii and list any topics you would like additional information on such as dependent education, bringing pets, EFMP, etc.

Photo by Sgt. Brian Erickson, 3rd BCT

Your request will be forwarded to your gaining unit and a sponsor will be assigned to assist you. Your sponsor will contact you via email or letter with information about your new unit, and the surrounding communities. We highly encourage you to visit the HI Military Guide or check out other tabs on this page where you will find useful information pertaining to Army Relocation Guides, planning your move, housing, medical and dental care, MWR and various other installation activities and opportunities here in Hawaii.

Outgoing Personnel

One of the most important pre-move actions you can take is to request a sponsor. Please complete the Sponsorship Program Counseling and Information Sheet, Sponsorship Program Form and see your unit Sponsorship Coordinator.

Sponsorship Survey

An important part of completing the in- or out-processing checklist is the online Total Army Sponsorship Program Survey for in-processing or out-processing.

Sponsorship Training

All Soldiers are eligible to be assigned as a sponsor to assist inbound and outbound Soldiers. For training and certification, access Sponsorship Application and Training.

Contact Information

If you have a question about sponsorship, contact the Hawaii Sponsorship Program Liaison at 808-655-8276 or via email.

Mailing address:
Directorate of Human Resources
Garrison Replacement Program
Building 750
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 96857-5000

Phone: 808-655-8276/4661
Fax: 808-655-4634

The U.S. Army Hawaii Replacement Company office is located at:

Soldier Support Center
Ayers Ave., Bldg. 750, Room 102, Schofield Barracks
(808) 655-6291

The Barracks and 24-hour Charge of Quarters is located at:

Menoher Road, Bldg. 1020, Schofield Barracks
(808) 282-0040

All Soldiers assigned to USARPAC, 25th Infantry Division, 8th Theater Sustainment Command, 500th Military Intelligence Brigade - and their subordinate units - will report to U.S. Army Hawaii Replacement Company.

Prior to arriving in Hawaii

Leave Extension

If you need a leave extension, check your orders for the Army Travel Assistance Center contact information. After you contact them, call the U.S. Army Hawaii Replacement Cadre to let them know your leave has been extended. During duty hours, call (808) 655-6291; after duty hours, call (808) 282-0040.

EFMP Overseas Screening

Soldiers who are PCSing to Hawaii with family members must go through an Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) overseas screening to have their family members’ names put on their PCS assignment orders. Soldiers must confer with their unit S-1 Personnel Office for assistance.

If their family members’ names are not on the PCS orders, Soldiers will lose many benefits, such as:

  • No payment or reimbursement for family travel to Hawaii.
  • No payment or reimbursement for hotel stay in Hawaii for family members.
  • COLA and/or housing allowance paid at single rate.
  • No/reduced Dislocation Allowance (DLA).
  • Reduced Household Goods (HHG) shipment allowance.

Hotel Reservations

Prior to arrival, call The Inn at Schofield at (800) 490-9638 or visit its website for reservations. If rooms are unavailable, they can provide you a list of TLA-approved hotels.

Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY)

“Permissive” means there is no allowance for transportation or per diem. Soldiers are not charged leave during this time. PTDY may not be used in conjunction with TLA. Who qualifies for PTDY:

  • Soldiers qualifying to live in on-/off-post housing.
  • Authorized up to 10 days.
  • Request and approved from the first O-5 (LTC) commander of their gaining unit.
  • Must indicate in Block 17 of DA 31 leave form that PTDY is authorized.
  • You cannot receive TLA (Temporary Living Allowance) prior to signing in from PCS leave.

PTDY-upon arrival to Hawaii for house hunting

If you are authorized PTDY from your prior duty station, you must follow the procedures below or you will be charged leave:

  • Report to Schofield Barracks Housing Services Office (HSO) located in Bldg. 950, Duck Rd., Schofield Barracks, (808) 275-3149.
  • Bring PCS orders and your DA 31 leave form annotated on the day your PTDY begins.
  • PTDY will end on the date specified on your DA 31 or date you sign in to the Replacement Company.
  • You cannot receive TLA prior to signing in from PCS leave and inprocessing with the Replacement Company.

If you are authorized PTDY from your prior duty station but want to receive TLA while on PTDY:

  • Sign in to the Replacement Company.
  • In-process.
  • Report to your new unit.
  • Request PTDY from new unit commander.

If you do not have approval from the losing duty station before arriving in Hawaii:

  • Sign in to the Replacement Company.
  • In-process.
  • Report to your new unit.
  • Request PTDY from new unit commander.

Upon arrival in Hawaii

Once you arrive at the Honolulu International Airport, sign in at the Replacement Company Liaison desk that is located between baggage claims F and G. If you do not sign in, you could experience difficulties and delays during your in-processing.

Soldiers are authorized to report in civilian clothes; however, you must be clean-shaven, and in accordance with AR 670-1 (i.e., no piercing, etc.).

Soldiers should bring all initial issue uniforms and hand-carry all important documents (i.e., orders, leave form, marriage certificates and prescriptions) as airlines sometimes lose baggage for a few days. Documents needed to sign in to the Replacement Company:

  • Copy of PCS orders with amendments
  • TDY enroute documents
  • Copies of DA Form 31 Leave Form
  • Copy of DA Form 788 POV Inspection Sheet (if applicable)
  • 201 file (E-5 and below)
  • Copy of medical profiles (if applicable)
  • Airport transportation

Replacement drivers are available to transport you from the airport to the Replacement Company Barracks, The Inn at Schofield, the Hale Koa Military Hotel and several other TLA-authorized hotels between 10 a.m.-midnight, or the last flight of the night. During other hours or if no one is at the desk, call the Replacement Company CQ at (808) 282-0040.

The Replacement Company provides shuttle service, 4-7:30 a.m., Monday-Friday, from several TLA-authorized hotels and military lodging to the Soldier Support Center at Schofield Barracks. Return trips depart the Replacement Company Barracks at 5 p.m. Check with Replacement Company for specific hotels and pick-up times.

The PX, commissary, bank, post office, credit union, movie theater, gymnasium and dining facility are all within walking distance of the Replacement Barracks and The Inn at Schofield Barracks.

If you arrive and have not signed in at the Replacement Company Airport Liaison desk, you must sign in at the Replacement Company CQ. Be sure that you provide the CQ NCO with the documents listed above. Upon your completion of signing in, the CQ NCO will give you further instructions.

Single Soldiers (E1-E5) and unaccompanied/geographical bachelor Soldiers (E1-E5) will be assigned a room in the Replacement Company barracks during in-processing.

Single and unaccompanied NCOs (E6 and above):

  • Prior to arrival contact The Inn at Schofield for reservations at (800) 490-9638.
  • Check-in with The Inn at Schofield located at 563 Kolekole Ave., Schofield Barracks.
  • If rooms unavailable, get Statement of Non-Availability.
  • Check-in to a TLA-authorized hotel (The Inn at Schofield can provide list).

Accompanied Soldiers with dependents and dual military arriving together or with dependents, regardless of grade:

  • Prior to arrival, contact The Inn at Schofield for reservations at (800) 490-9638.
  • Check-in with The Inn at Schofield located at 563 Kolekole Ave., Schofield Barracks.
  • If rooms are unavailable get Statement of Non-Availability.
  • Check-in to a TLA-authorized hotel (Family members’ names must be on the PCS orders to receive with-dependent TLA).

Temporary Living Allowances (TLA)

You must be signed in from leave; and be a single Soldier (E6 and above), unaccompanied Soldier (E6 and above), accompanied Soldiers with dependents, or dual military arriving together. On the day your leave form is signed:

Soldiers assigned to Oahu North (Schofield Barracks, Wheeler, or Helemano) must:

  • Prior to arrival, contact The Inn at Schofield for reservations at (800) 490-9638.
  • Check in with The Inn at Schofield Barracks located at 563 Kolekole Ave., Schofield Barracks.
  • If rooms are unavailable get Statement of Non-Availability.
  • Check-in to a TLA-authorized hotel (The Inn at Schofield can provide list).
  • Every 10 days, turn in your TLA documents in to The Inn at Schofield Barracks.

Soldiers assigned to Oahu South (Camp Smith, Fort Shafter, Tripler, and Hickam) must:

  • Check-in to a TLA authorized hotel.
  • Your S-1 will schedule an in-processing appointment with the Fort Shafter Finance Office to turn in your TLA documents.

The Statement of Non-Availability cannot be backdated. If you do not get a Statement of Non-Availability, your TLA may not be in effect, and you may not be reimbursed for the hotel. For more information on TLA, visit Defense Travel.

Processing Schedule

Replacement Program in-processing will be 5 days, or 4 days on holiday week. All in-processing Soldiers are required to conduct accountability formation and PT, daily, at Bldg. 1020, Menoher Rd.

  • In-processing begins on Monday at 8:45 a.m.
  • Ship out to gaining units is Friday at 10 a.m.
  • If you arrive after 9 a.m. on Monday, you will in-process the following week.
  • There are two separate in-processing schedules, a junior enlisted schedule (E-1 thru E-5) and a senior enlisted schedule (E-6 and above).
  • Senior Soldiers (E9, CW5, O5 and above) will have a separate, shorter schedule.

Additional Information

Authorized Privately Owned Weapon (POW)

Upon arrival, turn your weapons in to the Replacement Company to be stored.

Register your weapons with the Honolulu Police Department within 72 hrs of arrival. Hand-carry them to the Honolulu Police Department at 808-529-3371 for processing.

Have a valid photo identification and proof of citizenship, if born outside the United States, bring proof of citizenship such as an original U.S. passport, original naturalization certificate, original born abroad certificate; or if you are in the military, your Enlisted (ERB) or Officer (ORB) Record Brief will suffice, only if the document states you are a U.S. citizen.

Related Links

Recent News

Read more news at the Hawaii Army Weekly.



View even more videos on YouTube.

Can't access YouTube? Click here to access government-accessable versions of USAG-HI videos.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Department of Defense website.